August 15, 2011

overcoming fear

Do you know that expression "feel the fear and do it anyway?" Today I did a family photo shoot for a friend of a friend. I was a nervous wreck. There were eight of them and I wasn't used to posing larger groups of people. Before meeting up, I sat in my car in the parking lot, anxiously wondering if I was going to let them down. I definitely was questioning my abilities. But isn't that typical of fear? Once it settles in, we doubt ourselves and come up with a lot of reasons as to why we shouldn't do what we're about to do. It's way easier to stay in our little safe zone. But if there's one thing my husband and I always say, it's so much better to push yourself and be afraid then to never step up to the plate. It really is the only way to grow. I snapped the photo above while we were waiting for the others to show up. They were such a lovely family, I was so appreciative that they patiently let me move them to five different places around the park. Once the photo shoot was done and I saw that there were enough photos on the camera that I could deliver to them with confidence, I felt my whole demeanour change. Fear gave away to a new burst of energy, a new spring in my step and I felt proud that I had tackled my fear of letting them down. What's the last thing you did that scared you? 

No comments: