March 1, 2012

two months - makes all the difference...


The leap from the first month of parenting to the second is so significant. Not only is your body healing up from labour, but you start to get into a wonderful groove with your baby. I have to be honest, I felt quite overwhelmed during the first month as a mom. I felt like the isolation was really tough to adjust to. Then, on top of that I felt guilty because my dreams of being a mom had been granted, so why on earth did I feel blue? I was used to being surrounded by people all day and suddenly it was just me and my gal, trying to figure out how to communicate and understand one another. I was trying to get used to her cues and settle into some sort of routine. It seemed like everything was a challenge: getting groceries, visiting people, cooking, etc. it all hinged on trying to time it quickly between her feeds, changes and naps. But once the 6 week mark hit, things honestly transformed significantly. The doctor gave me the green light to return to exercising, so I joined my local gym and have steadily been getting my cardio/groove back, which is such a huge lift for the spirits. I've joined two mom's groups which start up this month and have signed Stella and I up for some yoga classes together (I can't wait to see her do downward dog with her mini arms). She has fallen into a great sleeping routine which makes the days much easier to plan. I am also able to differentiate between her "feed me right now" cry, her "I'm tired so I'm going to resist sleeping with every fibre of my being" cry and her "I need a change of scenery this instant" cry. The hubs and I are making more efforts to trade off going out, seeing friends, which is so important - you need to get out so you're not staring at your house 24/7. I try to make sure that Stell and I get out each day either to go for a walk together or to visit someone. Craig and I have taken her out to restaurants while she has been sleeping so that we can feel like we're out on dates. We're also planning on going to the drive in with her, so we can see movies together while she snoozes.  So, for you new moms out there, I just wanted you to know, the first month is a huge adjustment - it is amazing, but it can be tough both physically as you're healing and emotionally as you're getting used to one another. I hope it brings you some peace of mind knowing that things get so much better during the second month!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As always Kelly, written so beautifully xxx
Love from lu and henry

Mariella said...

It is tough Kelly, it's very hard so I completely understand your feeling and it's good that you know is normal...many moms don't even realize that and they keep on feeling guilty. But as you say, the second month things get significantly better and from then on everything changes and you finally start really enjoying your baby... she's such a beauty!