March 6, 2012

first date (post baby)

This weekend we had our first date night since having Stella. When you have a baby, you and your partner can easily become two ships passing in the night. You trade off your time back and forth with one another: can you watch the baby while I go get groceries? can you watch the baby while I go to the gym? can you watch the baby while I go out for dinner with my friends? and so on. Suddenly a lot of the things you used to do as a couple become solo efforts. Craig's parents offered to babysit and it was the nudge I needed. I have to admit, it's hard for me to tear myself away from my little girl, but when I know she's in the hands of people who love her as much as we do, it's a whole lot easier. We've taken Stella to restaurants as a family several times, but it was amazing how reconnected we felt just having a few hours to dine on our own. Not only did we feel like our old selves again, laughing and chatting (uninterrupted) over some delicious food and cocktails but when we went to pick her up, we were so excited to see her. Do you try and plan regular date nights with your mate? 
(ps-we found a great little cozy place in Fort Langley called Beatniks Bistro, which I would definitely recommend). 

No comments: