February 27, 2012

oscars 2012 - the hits and misses on the misses

Did you watch the oscars? I'm a huge movie fan, but this year, there sure was a lot of "meh" in the mix. I was very underwhelmed by this year's best picture contenders. But let's face it, lately the oscars are just as much about fashion as they are about filmmaking. Here are some of my personal picks for favourite fashionistas: 
Michelle Williams (in Louis Vuitton). It always amazes me that this is the same actress from Dawson's Creek. I absolutely adore her vintage style and wish I had the face to pull off that amazing haircut. Her style is iconic. 

Milla Jovovich (in Elie Saab). This look is the perfect throwback to Hollywood glam. Love. It.

Kristen Wiig (in J. Mendel). This dress is so romantic. I'd get married in it (if I wasn't already hitched and could afford to lounge around in designer wear). Her relaxed hairstyle and black nail polish give this look a great edge. I was hoping her brilliant original screenplay for Bridesmaids would win her an oscar. The cast and the writing are all insanely hilarious. She penned the best comedy in years. She is amazeballs. 

Gwyneth Paltrow (in Tom Ford). She looks statuesque. Two children, are you freaking kidding me? I don't think my figure was that amazing in my pre-teen years. I love her simple classic style. She always looks so natural, never overdone. 

Cameron Diaz (in Gucci). This nude toned dress looks amazing on Cameron. It suits her beach- tousled hair/tanned complexion perfectly. 

It's a little funny that all of my favourite dresses this year have a long and lean silhouette, probably a subconscious choice on my part to will my body to look like that one day. 

Not that I can really critique designer fashions given that I wear my lululemon track pants for both my day and evening looks lately, but here were a couple of looks that I think missed the mark:
Angelina Jolie (in Atelier Versace). A lot of people placed this look in their top 10 best dressed list, hell, her leg already has 10,000 twitter followers. Something just didn't sit right with me - her arms look eerily thin and the leg jutting out of the slit felt awkwardly forced. Angelina is a goddess but she needs to eat a sandwich with extra mayo on it. 

Meryl Streep (in Lanvin). Meryl is my favourite actress. I don't think anyone can come close to her mad skills. Her acceptance speech was bar none the best of the bunch. But, something about this look felt a little frumpy - I didn't think it did much to flatter her legendary beautiful looks. 

No comments: