March 28, 2012

a letter to my younger self

A few words I would share with my younger self:

Your dreams of having a family will come true, so don't fret. Don't cry with each passing month when you get a crimson reminder that your dreams are on hold. It'll be a long road, full of potholes, but you will get there. And when you do, you will no longer sit in any judgement of your parents. You will see them for who they are: two people, trying their best. You will understand the depth of their love for you because you would lie down in front of a train to protect your own child.

Your first impression of a very tall boy you meet at a birthday party will be spot on. He will be your life's greatest discovery.

Don't slouch. Find your voice. Believe in yourself and what you are capable of. This will be your life's greatest struggle but with each passing year you get a little louder and a little taller.

Your friends will show you who they are and they will be incredible finds. Tell them how much you love them. You will lose one of your most treasured friends tragically, but will carry some solace knowing your last words to him were "love you."

Don't get that perm.

The older you get, the more you will want to learn. You will never know it all, even when you are a teenager.

Don't try so hard to fit in. Celebrate your quirks, they will set you apart.

Don't let the behaviour of others get you down. What you would do and what someone else chooses to do will often be two different things. And that is okay. Just don't waste your energy and time on those who don't give you theirs in return.

Don't worry about making mistakes. You will learn more from them than anything else.

Travel as much as you can, it will ignite your deepest passion.

The only person who ever makes you feel "less than" is you.

For the love of god, buy stocks as soon as you hear the words: starbucks, apple and google.

7 comments:

Gerri said...

Love this line!! "For the love of god, buy stocks as soon as you hear the words: starbucks, apple and google."

Vanessa said...

I love it Kelly!!!! Makes me wonder what I would tell my younger self. I had to chuckle about the perm... and I can so relate to the fitting in part.

Brandy said...

Lots of great wisdom in your post as well as some good laughs! Travel is one of my deepest passions as well and I'm trying to find a balance with work and getting it in. I'm going on my honeymoon soon though to Italy and Greece - can't wait! So nice to meet you Kelly, we do have a lot in common.

Daizyheadmaisie said...

I love this post, there is so much wisdom in the words you wrote and it makes me smile that you are a woman who is still willing to learn and yet, you are content with who you are, which is exactly as it should be!!! Thank you for sharing! It takes some learning to see your parents as people too :)))

Clare said...

The one about travel is so true for me too! Lovely post. Clare

kelly said...

thank you so much ladies! I can't tell you how much I appreciate your visit/comments. xo

Debbie said...

I love this post! Simple and effective (and great last line!)