September 24, 2011

the simple life





Getting out in nature always makes me appreciate the simple things in life and helps me re-focus my perspective. I don't know about you, but I find when I've had a really busy week (this week we were out three out of four nights) - I need time to just decompress and be in the outdoors to re-fuel. These photos were taken at Campbell Valley Park, one of my favourite local spaces. 
One thing I was thinking about today is the question of "enough". Do you feel like at this point in your life that you are satisfied? Do you feel like your cup is full? It's easy to get caught up in always projecting your happiness into the future. What's your weakness? How do you usually finish this phrase: I'll be happy when..........I'm skinnier? I'm richer? I meet someone? I'm a parent? I have a better job? I have a better home? When is enough enough?
My weakness tends to be that I can't wait for a bigger living space. I daydream of having room to entertain, to have an open concept space to cook for our friends and family, to have a more modern home that reflects my love of contemporary architecture.......Our home is 1050 square feet, pretty cozy by today's housing standards, but it is definitely big enough for the two of us and our soon-to-be-bundle. My husband's entire family of four grew up in 850 square feet (one bathroom) and had a wonderfully happy life together. I hate the fact that I get caught up in thinking that more will be somehow "better". Our home right now is entirely within our means and is a happy, bright space  - so why do we catch ourselves getting caught up in the rat race? If there's one thing I've learned from life experience and books is that to live in the present is to be truly happy. This is why the art of meditation is so truly important.
Today we went for a two hour walk through the park and often chatted about how wonderful our friends and family are and what we adore about their unique personalities. When you're away from the storefronts, the advertising, the competitive rat race, it's easy to be reminded in the richness of all that we do have - a beautiful province to live in and a lot of great people in our lives to love. That's why I crave to be in nature - it has such an abundance of beauty and possesses the ability to make me feel full and grateful. Have you heard of the documentary called I am? It was created by Hollywood director Tom Shadyac - a man who had it all - the 10,000 square foot mansion, the private jet, the huge bank account - and gave it all up to live a simplified life. He was gravely injured in a biking accident and reflected on what was truly important in his life. He donated everything away and lives in a modest home. He admits to never being happier. I love how through his research he discovers that contrary to popular thinking, nature's fundamental operating principal is based upon cooperation, not competition. Societies function at a healthier level when operating under feelings of gratitude and compassion versus anxiety, anger and fear. Even Darwin's Descent of Man discusses love 95 times and only mentions the phrase "survival of the fittest" twice. So where'd we get it wrong? Why is our society under the impression that we have to outdo one another in order to measure happiness and success? 
So my task for you this week is to make a gratitude list of all that makes you truly happy at this point in time. Don't look forward and don't compare your life with others. I bet you'll be surprised at how long your list is and how little of it is tied to anything material.
Sorry I waxed on a little long about all of this - but it's a big topic that I think we often need reminding of in today's society. 

No comments: