September 19, 2011

Redheads need not apply

Tonight on the news, there was an interesting little story on how the world's largest sperm bank, Cyros International, has stopped accepting ginger-haired donors. For more information please read here. A lot of families don't want redheaded sperm donors because they'd rather their child looks like them, and since red hair is so rare, they simply aren't in demand. But why do we have to all look the same? Before getting pregnant, I was very close to adopting a boy from Korea and was so excited to celebrate the fact that our family would be a wonderful mix of cultures. I just thought the news article was pretty funny given that I always have tried to dye my auburn hair as red as I can. I always thought red hair was exotic. Maybe because I am a shy gal, I thought the bolder the red the better to help let others know that if you get to know me, I really do have an edge. Only 1-2% of the population are natural redheads. Why is there a negative connotation about being unique? Why are all redheads portrayed as hot heads or fiery? I always knew there are people who for whatever reason, think it's acceptable to pick on redheads: a clear example of this is kick a ginger day. Will redheads eventually be left at the sidelines, not allowed to dip their toes in the gene pool? Wouldn't you miss seeing beauties like this? 
or what about these comedically gifted men, two of my all-time favourite redheads:
Check out this clip of the two of them together: Conan & Louis
What do you think? Are you more partial to blondes/brunettes? Do you think it's time for me to pack up and be around my people in Ireland?

No comments: