July 31, 2011

pride

Today was the annual Pride Parade in Vancouver. I had to work, or you would have seen this space filled with photos of the festivities instead of this home-made photo designed from skittles. I have a lot of passion for this topic because some of the best friends I've had in my life are gay/lesbian. My dear friend Scott passed away almost four years ago in a terrible car accident at the tender age of 39 . He "came out" in his early 30s. When he felt the time was right for him, he told each one of us in our circle of friends individually. Everyone embraced his news and were so happy for him. Our only wish for him was that he had done it sooner. But, it is a personal journey that takes each individual a lot of soul searching before they feel ready to embrace that yes, this is who they truly are. There is the fear of being rejected by friends, by family, or by society. But once he said the words out loud, that he was gay, it was like a weight he had carried around was finally gone. I saw such a change in him - he was truly living authentically. Even though his life was cut terribly short, I am still so thrilled that he got to live his later years openly and honestly. Not a day goes by where I don't miss him. I was the last person to kiss his cheek and tell him I loved him before he left this earth. I feel forever connected to him. He was a gentle soul that touched a lot of lives and taught all of our friends the value in being authentic. Last year, I also had the privilege and honour of attending my first lesbian wedding. One of my best friends got married, here's a link to the post: F & J Wedding. When I look at their wedding photos, or see them in person, I don't view them as different at all (except for the fact they are drop dead gorgeous).  To me they are just my beloved friends who found happiness. I will never understand how anyone can think otherwise. Some people like to live their lives in constant judgement of others for their sex, race, income level, etc. I'm just glad that I don't befriend people like that. All I think is that people should live happily and authentically and those who matter will applaud them on. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You’re an AMAZING writer and photographer Kelly...you speak from the heart with such passion and genuine love. One of my most favourite parts of everyday (or sometimes if I’m behind...every few days) is looking at & reading your blog. I come away each time with a sense of peace and contentment. Thank you.

kelly said...

Thank you so much Lisa for your kind words! xo