July 17, 2011

new cookbook

I just picked up Gwyneth Paltrow's new cookbook. It's one of those simple pleasures in life that I love: picking up a new cookbook, reading through the recipes, savouring the beautiful photographs and flagging the recipes I want to try. I get a real rush from cooking when I have the time to do it properly. I love everything about it - the planning, going to the local farmer's market to pick out fresh ingredients, the art of slicing and dicing the produce, and adding just the right amount of seasoning. I used to enjoy a glass of wine while cooking, but now, being pregnant, that has been substituted with snapping photographs while cooking - the colours of vegetables, fruit, spices, all lend themselves so well to vivid photos. Don't you think there is so much romance to cooking? There is something amazing about having friends and family over to enjoy what you've created. It is so important for me to feed my family with freshly made food. In a time when so much food these days comes pre-packaged, processed, pumped full of hormones, transported across countries, it is important to think of what we are putting in our bodies. Look up what's in season in your area. Try to buy local and organic. Shop and eat consciously. Savour every delicious morsel!

No comments: