March 8, 2013

Happy International Woman's Day!

As a woman, raising a woman, I have a special place in my heart for International Woman's day. Today I took this photo with my toe! I want my daughter to know that she is enough. It's been my lifelong struggle to feel that I'm enough, but I want my daughter to know that I'm in her corner, cheering her on, and will remind her everyday that she is valuable just for being her. I want my daughter to claim her worthiness from within - not from her appearance, not from her career choice, not from marital status, not from her friends, not from her income, not from her religious or political preference. I want her to cultivate a heart that is open, warm, empathetic and resilient. When women support one another, the combined power is palpable. Through various women's groups, whether it's my circle of lifelong friends, my beautiful collection of yayas, my tribe of local moms, or the generations of women in my family, I have felt such strength through our shared stories of celebration and struggle. We lean on and lift one another. We also laugh, a lot. When we operate from a space of openness, acceptance and inclusion, we grow and learn together. When women operate from a space of blame, fear or exclusion then the only result is judgement. When women operate cohesively as a community - they get shit done. Fact.
So be enough for yourself.
Demand enough for yourself.
Say enough is enough when you need to.
Don't let the actions of others ever make you feel like you aren't enough.
You are.
Here are some great articles and Ted talks I've caught recently:

Brene Brown: The Power of Vulnerability
Sarah Lacey's take on career and family
Sarah Kay's brilliant spoken word: If I should have a daughter
a girl who demanded school
an inspiring 48 hours

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the reminder xx
Lu