May 9, 2012

Pender Island Boondoggle


It was my first time away from my baby girl. I wasn't sure how I'd do. She's been in my arms continuously for the last 4 1/2 months. There was one moment on the ferry when the Cat Power version of Sea of Love came on my Ipod and I had to quickly turn it off because I could feel myself welling up (that's the version of the song I sing to Stella nightly before bed). But other than that, I did really well. It's easy to kick back and have fun when you are in a gorgeous spot with group of fun loving women. And, after all, it was only one night away. If it had been two nights, I may not have been such a pillar of strength :) The girls had all arrived Friday night, so when I showed up Saturday morning, they had a delicious brunch waiting for me, including homemade waffles. (I love how these women roll!)
We hit the farmer's market, walked on the beach, had coffees on a sunny deck, had wine and appies on my friend's waterfront patio, made a delicious salmon barbecued dinner, played games, did (what at the wine induced time, felt like an award winning combo of) dancing and yoga moves. I am sure we pretty much did the same itinerary as any group of guys on a getaway ;). Sunday morning we were woken up by a pod of orcas swimming by the house, we had a buck visit us in the yard, hiked up Mt. Norman and capped off our weekend away with a tasty dinner at the newly reopened Hope Bay Cafe. 
One year ago I was at Pender Island with this same group of women where I told them I was newly pregnant (just six weeks along). I remember hiking Mt. Norman back then, standing alone in the woods and feeling so comforted that I wasn't truly alone at that moment,  that I had a little baby growing inside of me. I remember looking up at the trees, wishing with all my might that everything would go smoothly with the pregnancy. It felt pretty amazing to return to Pender one year later with the same group of women and do the same hike, but now knowing who it was I had growing within me at that time. I was so excited to see my little girl's smiling face Monday morning. I think it does mothers (and fathers) a world of good to have a time of renewal for themselves. I hope you had a great weekend!

2 comments:

Lauren said...

So awesome. The pics of the orcas are amazing. Like a dream I once had... Oh thank you for sharing... Glad you had fun.

kelly said...

Thanks so much Lauren! It was amazing to see the Orcas so close.