May 21, 2012

gone too soon


Dear friends,
I am so sad to report that we lost one of the good ones this weekend. One of our beloved friends Glen Zadworny "Zad" drowned Friday night when a boat he was sharing with two of his friends overturned.  He was only 43. If you had the privilege of knowing him, then you understand the state of shock and grief we are in.  If you never had the opportunity to meet him, then I am sorry because you would have absolutely loved him. He had the sweetest, easygoing nature and was, without a doubt, the most positive man I knew. Zad and Zen were synonymous. He loved his wife, daughter, fishing, playing hockey and mountain biking with friends. He kept life simple, didn't have a bad word to say about anyone, didn't expect anything from anyone and was the happiest guy because of it. I had the honour of photographing his wedding only a short year and a half ago. His wife Kathy and daughter Jasmine meant the world to him. Our friends loved him whole heartedly. He had a smile and giant hug for everyone. Ironically, a large gathering of his friends were together at a barbecue on Saturday night when we got the terrible news. We grieved with one another and swapped funny Zad stories, laughing through our tears at some of his past antics. This is the second friend from our circle to die in less than five years from an accidental death. There is no warning, no preparation. It truly scares me to my core. It makes you realize how extremely fragile life is. It hangs by a thread. I had drinks with him two weeks ago, gave him a hug and got his usual "bye sweetie" back. And you take for granted that you will see him at the next get together. I take for granted every time I say goodbye to a friend that I will see them again. Hug your loved ones close today. Try as hard as you can to shake off all the little petty things that can blur your view of what is really important in life: family, friends and the love you share with them. Zad will forever live in our hearts but I sure will miss seeing him. xoxo

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

He loved my daughter and my grandaughter, he was loved by us as well. You have described him just as we knew him, which was far too short a time.

MrsZad said...

Kelly....that was beautiful. And absolutely summed up my Husband in a nutshell. Although...you forgot to mention that he was a nut at times too. So many funny stories and clueless moments that I will cherish forever and always. Oh how I love him.

kelly said...

Thank you Kathy. You are so right! Zad had so many funny moments. I can't wait to see you Friday and share Zad stories. My heart breaks for you and Jasmine. I know he is with you, hanging with his girls, his favourite time.

Anonymous said...

Glen was a very dear friend of mine working in a warehouse on Annacis Island, he share many of storys with us. He will be missed by all of us. Howard

MrsZad said...

It was such a heartbreaking night and yet so beautiful. Thank you for the hugs and kisses and listening to me......keep in touch!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kelly,

Such appropriate sentiments. I truly am saddened by hearing of Zad's passing, and so close to where I live. I've been remiss in keeping in touch with you all and again missed the gathering of friends. I've known Zad since we were children and I always remember him as you said; kind, accepting and unassuming, and always had a smile on his face.
I still have my Brodie Sovereign mountain bike which Zad so graciously had repainted at Rocky Mountain, when he worked there, for two flats of beer. Classic Zad. I always think of him whenever I take it for a ride, and now it will be all the more poignant.
As I'm sure you all are grieved, I am too, and I have regret because I never took advantage of the time we had to keep in touch. He was a kind soul and will be missed by many. My deepest condolences. Kurt

kelly said...

Thanks for writing such a nice comment. We would have loved to have seen you, it's been so long.
Zad was loved by all and is incredibly missed. How special that you have a bike that will always remind you of Zad.

bazzert said...

Glen was great guy, a great co-worker and great goalie to play for. I worked with him at Rocky. I am so very sorry to hear of your loss.
Barry T