August 1, 2010

pender island


     I arrived on Pender Island at 3:30 on Saturday and left at 3:30 on Sunday. A whirlwind trip, but absolutely worth it. We explored the Enchanted Forest, collected sparkling beach glass at Higgs Beach, caught a Sunday Market at Poet's Cove and, thanks to the watchful eyes of Jonathan & Julia, were always on the lookout for pirates.
     Caroline, her kids, her dog Jasper and I played a rousing game of piggy in the middle. At one point the ball tumbed down the bluff, and Jasper went to fetch it for us. The kids were wondering what was taking Jasper so long - I told them that he had to take care of some business first before bringing the ball back up. Jonathan giggled when he saw Jasper and said his dad was a businessman, but this wasn't the kind of business he did. LOVE him.
     One of my favourite moments was sitting on the swing with Caroline's eldest child Julia. We sat looking out over the ocean and chatted about life as a girl. I told her stories about her mom and I as kids, and she filled me in on the life of a soon-to-be 9 year old. She just wants to play and doesn't understand her friends that have boyfriends and spend all their time talking. She said, "Isn't that what being a teenager is for? I just want to be a kid." LOVE her.

   I love how many great moments you can pack into 24 hours.

  

No comments: