November 24, 2014

so, what is it all about?

Last night, around 11 p.m., I leaned over to my hubby and asked him what he thinks life is all about. As you can imagine, he was thrilled to be handed such a light question when he has to get up early. But it's been on my mind more than ever. I find it fascinating to hear the different responses people have to that question. There are those who want to leave their mark, whether it's through architecture, literature, music, entrepreneurship, or a large family, etc, they want their legacy to be lasting. There are those who strive for wealth. There are also those who are so confident in their religious beliefs that they think this life is all for a higher purpose, for another chapter that awaits us. All I know is that I've never contemplated the meaning of life more than I have lately.
Life feels like it is moving by at warp speed, probably because, more than ever, I want it to slow down. I want to keep my momma right by my side.
What do you want your legacy to be?
Too often lately, I know of friends whose parents work their butts off their entire lives, are prepared to retire and then are struck with a life altering illness. Dreams of travelling the world or enjoying their retirement don't come to fruition. So, my number one piece of advice is to get on it. Get working through the list of what matters the most to you. Take that dream vacation, have that child you've been yearning for, try writing that book you've been talking about, get out of that job or marriage that's been depleting your spirit for years. I really think it is important for people to sit down, take a blank piece of paper and map out your dreams that you want for your life because it is really easy to get sidetracked by busy schedules. What dream for your life would you be most disappointed if it wasn't realized? Make that one your first priority.
I know for my mom, life is about the connections we make. It's about fighting as hard as she can against cancer to spend her extra days with her husband, children, grandchildren and friends. She's content with the places she's seen, she never needed to achieve fame, she just wants more cups of tea with her loves. And as quiet as a life as she's led, I can tell by the steady stream of company that visits, that she has made her mark on a tonne of hearts.
I encourage you to work your hardest to stop going through the motions, work on what means the most to you and pursue it with all that you've got.
Each day now, I write down who I connected with that day, what major task I accomplished, what I am grateful for, and one step I took towards my dreams. It makes each day feel more significant and focused.
Ah, another light and breezy post! Chat soon friends xoxo

No comments: