November 9, 2012

i like to move it move it

Happy Friday lovely friends! What are you up to for your weekend? We're taking the little one to see her grandpa march in the Remembrance Day ceremony. Last year we had a laugh at the usually sober ceremony when it was really quiet and a little boy belted out, "Dad, I think someone farted." His dad quickly scooped him up and exited stage left. Kids. Love. Them.

With less than six weeks until my maternity leave is over, I've been working out harder than ever lately, trying to shake the last of the baby weight. I call it baby weight, but let's face it, after 10 months, it's more likely weight from living large all year. I don't recall turning down too many (any) desserts. But with time ticking, it's become my own version of the amazing race. But instead of participating in daredevil challenges like the amazing race, I'm turning my back on Halloween candy mini treats and weekday drinks. Baby steps right? Last night whilst at the gym, sweating, or shall I say "glowing" like a son of a b, I realized there are certain songs that elevate my energy to the next level. Somehow they get you to tap into your reserves and endure, endure, endure. Do you like listening to music when you workout? What gets you pumped? I thought I'd share a few of my favourites: This song by the Heavy makes me feel like a bonafide rock star. In fact, I'm pretty sure I sing it out loud whenever it comes on my ipod, regardless of the fact I'm at the gym.  This track by TV on the Radio or this song from Metric always give me the extra boost I need.
If you want to lose yourself in a beat, what about this track by Bastien Laval, this song by Ellie Goulding or this song by Ron Reeser?
What kind of exercise do you prefer in the winter? Personally, I love taking classes (dance, yoga, spinning) because I know I will not cut any corners. I also signed up for hot yoga to warm up my old bones. I need variety in my routine to keep it interesting. After all, variety is life's greatest spice apparently (closely followed by cinnamon). How do you stay in shape in the winter?
Here is a quick look on some machines for women to avoid in their gym routines. Also, here's a few smart post workout snacks. 
I hope you have a wonderful weekend! Keep moving! xo

No comments: