October 16, 2012

the big 4-OMG!



No matter how many creams I applied or how many times I tried to hide, 40 found me. I feel a little sentimental about 40 because I distinctly remember as a child celebrating my parent's 40th birthdays and they seemed so. old. And now, I'm them! E. Gad. It is so cliche but time really does fly by. I'm one of those people who still mistakenly thinks the 90s were 10 years ago. Forty is one of those benchmark ages where you can't help but take stock on your life. Are you where you thought you'd be at 40? Are there changes you'd like to make as you enter the next phase of life?
I have to say, I'm very happy with where I'm at going into my 40s. With the patter of little feet around me and my best friend at my side, 40 is kicking off in a great way. Looking back, I'd have a lot of advice for my younger self.  One of the key things would be not to worry so much. I spent far too many nights crying wondering if my dream of being a mom was ever going to happen.  Pregnancy didn't seem to be working out and the adoption process kept dragging along. Then one day I had a positive pregnancy stick and felt like I had won the lottery. I'll never forget that moment - it was absolute elation. I literally jumped up and down and sprinted down the street. Even when my little girl becomes a challenging teenager, I'll cling to that pregnancy stick as a reminder that I really, really wanted this. At 40, I also know that I'm extremely lucky to have such a great collection of friends who represent so many different areas of my life. As you get older, you realize how precious your spare time is and that you only want to share it with people who you truly connect with and admire. I'm definitely happy that I grew up in the 70s/80s and experienced life off the grid. Oh, there was a lot of time wasted that doesn't exist today, but I liked the fact that my friends and I would spend an entire Saturday going downtown just to buy a record. I loved the fact that we would slip each other handwritten notes between classes or ride our bikes to a meeting place to put a plan together. I know my daughter is going to think I'm ancient (which I am) because when I was in University I had to look things up in the library's reference books and type out term papers on word processors and use liquid paper if I made a mistake (or so I was told by people who made mistakes). I remember my dad saying that he always felt 25 and was surprised when he looked in the mirror to see an older man staring back (which was him, in case you didn't get the reference, it wasn't some creepy old man lurking in the mirror). It's true, I really don't feel any different at 40. I know I have to work harder to stay fit because as my metabolism goes south, I really don't want the boobs to follow. I am also more interested than ever in Spanx being health conscious because I want to be around as long as I can for my daughter (whether she likes it or not). I am also working harder than ever on my building my confidence because at 40, it's high time I started believing in myself and pursuing my dreams with gusto! Exclamation point! If I could teach my younger self a few things I have learned along the way, it would be:

*Moisturize like there is no tomorrow but for the love of god, don't get that perm.
*Exercise is the best remedy for any off day.
*You will learn more from your mistakes than anything else, so don't be afraid to make them.
*It is always better to be the smartest girl in the room than the prettiest one. (I was neither, but I'm just sayin'.)
*Surround yourself with people who make you laugh.
*If you value the simple things in life it won't matter how much you earn
*Love fully. A broken heart is always better than a what if.
*Stick to dancing because it makes you feel amazing - even if you look like this
*Shut off your inner critic. (this one is still a work in progress)
*Keep writing and snapping photos because they make you blissfully happy
*Appreciate the big moments and the mundane ones.
*Never shy away from a new experience (within the confines of the law; well, at least keep it on the low down if you aren't sure).
*Actions speak louder than words.
*Nobody has it all together. We're all universally dorky.
I figure you can't gingerly dip your toes into your 40s, you have to be the fat guy at the pool who just runs and does a cannonball. So, here we go! Thanks for taking the time out of your day to read this little site, I appreciate it! xo

No comments: