December 30, 2011

life so far.....

Tomorrow we will hit the two week mark of being parents to this little munchkin. I just thought I'd let you know some things we've discovered during these past few weeks:

Biggest transition: How little we get done in a day. Between feeds and diaper changes, if I get a load of dishes done or laundry done - it's an awesome day. Seriously. 

Best thing you can do for a new family: Drop off meals. We've had delicious lunches and dinners dropped off to us in the hospital and at home. I can't tell you how amazing this is. I will definitely do this for my next friend to have a baby. 

Dumbest mistake so far: Forgetting to put a diaper on the baby. Friends were over, she pooped in her onesie.  It wasn't pretty. Mom's reputation is quickly tanking.

Coolest gift: Little Stella library of books. My friend's mom gave us this collection. I didn't even know these existed. A series of books about a little redheaded girl named Stella - such a great find. 

Best Discovery: The soother. She loves it. We love that she loves it. Thank you clever creator of the soother, you mad genius. 

Best tip: Although my milk is still struggling to come in because of the labour I had, the best cure for sore nipples/boobs for new moms is lanolin cream and cabbage leaves. Cover nipples in pure lanolin.  Peel off a few cabbage leaves and place them in your bra. Ignore the fact your bra looks like a portable salad container. It works. Trust me. 

Biggest laugh so far: We were driving by to see what movies were playing at our theatre. We just turned to each other and laughed at how it really doesn't matter. Oh how quickly we forgot our new lifestyle. 

Peace and love amazing friends!! I hope you had a great holiday season. xoxo

3 comments:

Lauren said...

Lovely...
My best advice for milk coming in, would be take some Fenugreek. I had to when i got very ill for a few days when my daughter was about 12 months... My milk depleted because I was so sick I couldn't nurse her, and then it ended up coming back just fine with the herbal supplement. It is safe... Good luck...

Erin said...

You're so lucky to have found that collection of Stella books. I just gave Eoin a Marie-Louise Gay book for Christmas called Caramba and Henry. (It's about a cat named Caramba and his troublesome younger brother.) It's our new favourite book! I love her artwork.

kelly said...

Thanks for the comments! Lauren, in will definitely try Fenugreek. I am taking Domperidone at the moment, but have heard good things about Fenugreek. Erin, I fully agree. The artwork in Mary Louise Gay's books is amazing. I find myself reading these books to Stella, even though she is asleep, they are so good. I hope you all had a great new year's. Xo