December 16, 2011

Let's Go Crazy!

It's pretty funny that the Prince concert has arrived. I knew it was a long shot when we bought the tickets last month - I thought either the baby would come quite early and hoped that my parents could babysit while we had our first evening out, or there was always the off chance the baby would be quite late and we could go. A lot of people thought I was crazy and would be selling the tickets at a big loss. I have to admit, as this week has unfolded with many sleepless nights full of sporadic contractions, I thought labour would have unfolded by now too. But now that it's here, I'm really pumped to share in this concert with my hubby. Maybe a night with the master of funk will get this baby dancing all the way out of the womb. I know that Prince isn't everyone's cup of tea. I fully appreciate that everyone has different musical taste. For myself, he was one of those ground breaking artists whose music instantly resonated with me and shaped a lot of my musical taste growing up. I remember being 10, spinning the 1999 album on my dad's turntable and being blown completely away. The funky beats, the jangling guitar, the sexy lyrics - I was instantly hooked. Over the years I have caught him twice live and marvelled in his talent. His endless library of hits, his extreme musical ability (for his debut album, he played all 27 instruments on the recording), his crazy funky dance moves that speak volumes of his James Brown, Sly Stone and Jimi Hendrix influences. These days you don't see too many performers who can just command a stage and put on a full out show like he does. I better go rest in case the show really does bring on labour :) Have a great night!!

No comments: