November 14, 2011

the last getaway

With the baby due in a month, we wanted one last getaway, so we headed over to Pender Island with some of our oldest friends. On Friday's journey over, the whole ferry fell silent at 11 am for a few moments to honour Remembrance Day. It was extremely moving to see everyone become so quiet and still on board, all you could hear was the ocean lapping against the ship. When we got to the house, the wind picked up throughout the afternoon, crashing huge waves against the rocky coastline, knocking the power out from 3 to 10 pm. We cooked up the dinner on the bbq, huddled under blankets and had a romantic candlelit feast. The rest of the weekend was full of great walks, lots of delicious home cooking and we even spotted a pod of killer whales swim right by the back patio. On Saturday night, we played a great game called Apples to Apples, where I cleaned up, but it wasn't tough given that I was the lone sober one and everyone was well into their mugs of rum. I can't remember when I have laughed so hard.  Initially when we were invited over to Pender, I was a little nervous to go over because there isn't a hospital on the island and I have been getting more frequent Braxton Hicks contractions lately but I'm so glad we went. It really was the perfect last pre-baby getaway. I hope you had a wonderful long weekend!

No comments: