February 6, 2011

janet's 40th

I have known Janet literally since I was a baby. She lived down the road where I grew up. She held me in her arms when she was two years old. Today she turns 40. She is one of these remarkable people who just exudes kindness and is so welcoming to everyone. You want to introduce her to every friend you have because you're so proud to know her. Her husband Art packed a day full of birthday surprises for her. She started out the day having a facial and then met up with us for an afternoon kayak around False Creek. We departed from Granville island and paddled around English Bay to Stanley Park and back. Vancouver is such an amazing city to live. Seeing the city's skyline from the water's vantage point is truly beautiful. The weather was remarkably mild for February - we were able to paddle around in light sweatshirts. After kayaking, the ladies headed off to a local nail salon for manicures or pedicures. I do not frequent salons and it shows. The lady helping me pulled out a mini electric sander to start working on my feet. She laughed a lot. I gave her an extra tip for her efforts, which I'm sure, were groundbreaking. Next up was a delicious dinner at the Italian Kitchen. Delizioso! There's nothing better than round table dining when you've got a group of good friends. We met up with the rest of the party crew at the condo Art rented downtown for some cake, mingling and dancing. There were definitely tears when he surprised Janet with a beautiful ring containing five gems. The ring was made up of their birthstones, the birthstones of their sons Josh and Cody, and the birthstone of their son Kieran who passed away shortly after birth.  Yep, I still tear up just thinking about it. Art really did make the day so special for Janet from start to finish. She kept telling me throughout the day how she felt so loved. She is. 









2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tell me you were not wearing cotton on the water? Other than that sounds pretty cool. Sorry I missed it.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pics Kel! Look at that dance pose. It's like I get better after 20 glasses of wine and mojotis! Here's to great friends, great times and staying young together!

Art