December 24, 2012

Christmas catch up

Hi friends! Are you ready for Christmas? We actually just got our tree Saturday. Our little one went down for her nap, and my hubby dashed out to pick up the tree. I decorated it quickly and turned on the Christmas lights. When she woke up from her nap and saw the tree, she ran around the house excitedly, clapping and speaking a mile a minute in her own little language. I'm pretty sure she was saying, Rad job mom and dad. Yes, in hindsight I'm positive that's exactly what she was saying.

Are you finished all of your shopping? We still have some Christmas shopping to do because life has been especially busy lately: My hubby started a new job two weeks ago, and we needed to buy a second car lickety split for his commute. I went back to work this week after my year long mat leave. (More on that in a minute). Stella had her first birthday and we threw a little bash for her. My grandma passed away.

On Saturday, we had a little graveside ceremony and burial for grandma. She was laid to rest next to my grandpa, who had passed away 20 years ago. I felt such much peace during the ceremony because I know that for the past few years, she was ready to go and now she was finally at rest, next to her life's great love. The simple little ceremony, surrounded by family, listening to stories of her life, felt perfect.
Later that night, one of Stella's toys started up on its own, playing music. I looked at it and briefly thought, Grandma? Okay, perhaps it was just a glitch, but I like to think she was just checking in.

One week ago, we had a little birthday party for our daughter's leap into single digits. When we got home, I looked at her and welled up (or perhaps I even went into the ugly cry, I can't quite recall) wondering if I was going to be tough enough to go back to work and have long days away from her. I had the most amazing year and was panicking that it was going to change. I poured through photos of her and told my husband that I wanted it all back, to relive every moment of the past year with her. (Yep, I can be pretty dramatic). She has been my trusty sidekick 24/7. But, I have to tell you, especially all you moms out there who are fearing being apart from your babies, it went incredibly smoothly. I was so excited to see my work mates again, to use my brain in a different capacity and to engage in adult conversation. I think during the mat leave, we almost go into hibernation, and understandably so; it's a time to bond with our babies and to get them (and ourselves) into a routine.  Even though most days on my mat leave, I went out and met up with friends or relatives, returning to work somehow felt like I was really emerging from hibernation. When I got home from work, I was really pumped to see my little girl. I'm working part time, which I think is the perfect balance for my life right now. So, all you new moms out there, don't waste a single moment of your mat leave worrying about your return to work. If someone like me, who is joined at the hip to her daughter can do it, and enjoy it, you can too!

Merry Christmas from our little family to yours. I hope you have an amazing time surrounded by your loved ones. I wish you nothing but peace, love and happiness for the coming year.  xoxo

No comments: