October 5, 2010

the mountain analogy

I read a really great article today about social media and how on facebook, blogs, twitter, etc....everyone is trying to put their best face forward all the time. Look at my life! Isn't it the best? I am utterly AMAZEBALLS!! They are trying to make their life into a big splashy magazine ad. I think sometimes I am guilty of that - of just posting photos and writing about my favourite moments, the great ones that I feel like sharing and overlooking the days that aren't as photogenic. But I think sometimes it's ok to show the world you have bad days, days that fully suck. You know those days : days where you spend all of five minutes getting ready for work, and it involves slapping your dirty hair in a ponytail, wearing anything that smells clean and hoping you can slip in and out of the office without anyone noticing that you look and feel like you'd rather be anywhere else. You know those days: days when you have to smile through gritted teeth as a customer chews you out for no better reason than the fact they too are having ONE OF THOSE DAYS. Maybe a co-worker is driving you around the bend, but you suck it up and hold it in, maintaining your professional office composure,  until you get home and let the f-bombs fly, ranting and raving to any loved one who will make eye contact, even if it's the cat. We all have our moments. And only those who we feel the most trustworthy of, and ourselves around, see the real goods. And it ain't always pretty.

Being a shy gal, I often feel under the radar, a little invisible. I'd love to be able to have the gift of the gab. But, don't get me wrong, it's not always a bad thing. I think people who always talk for the sake of talking are physically exhausting. The world definitely needs some listeners. But when I feel under the radar and overlooked, it can feel like a kick in the gut.  I learned a great analogy from one of my friends this weekend that I wanted to share: think of yourself as a mountain - strong, rooted down yet reaching high, and acknowledge that there will be great days full of clear skies, but there will also be days when the clouds gather, and stay for awhile, but they will always pass.

No comments: